Re: Ghostscript 9.09 released upstream, Debian on 9.05

Quoting Till Kamppeter (2013-08-23 12:48:36)
> is Ghostscript in Debian still maintained?

Yes.

> Or is there anything in Ghostscript 9.06 and newer which does not
> allow its use in Debian? If so please tell the problem or report it
> directly upstream (and please post the upstream bug links here).

Recent Ghostscript releases depend on patches to liblcms which has not
yet entered Debian (see bug#701993).  This is not a bug upstream, as the
Ghostscript project choose to include convenience copies of code,
something which strongly discouraged in Debian, as it (among other
things) hurts security maintenance.

(sorry - I thought you were already well aware of all these details,
Till)

> If Ghostscript as it is now is not suitable for Debian any more,
> should we consider switching over to Poppler?

Not sure what you mean by that.  Poppler is used by parts of Debian, and
Ghostscript is used by other parts of Debian.

If upstreams would like to consider switching between them, they are
free to do so.

For the (few, I suspect) upstream projects supporting both and therefore
leaving Debian with a choice, I guess Poppler is generally preferred
already - but I might be wrong, and it would be good to base such
choices on concrete analysis, because both projects are alive and well.

 - Jonas