Re: tools to compare PPDs?

On 07/03/2012 06:57 AM, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
Can you tell me how your divined that from just the description line,
which doesn't mention PCL-6 ?
Is it just from your experience with all this stuff?

No, "pxlcolor" is the built-in Ghostscript driver for PCL 6/XL.

I've read enough that I understand foomatic usually provides a "generic"
postscript PPD but I don't recall seeing any description of pxlcolor.

The "Foomatic/pxlcolor" PPD is for PCL 6/XL, the generic PostScript PPDs are the "Foomatic/Postscript" ones.

I was wondering if PCL drivers could be used with clients sending postscript.

A PCL driver under Linux turns PostScript ® PDF into PCL 6/XL. Clients have sent PostScript for years, currently they send PDF. Ghostscript (the base of the PCL-6 driver and most other drivers under Linux) understands both PostScript and PDF as input.

It seems (for a modern enough revision of PCL) this is possible. Great.

Works with all PCL revisions as  Ghostscript supports them all.

Oh. I thought there might be some kind of automatic recommending
based on the openprinting.org ratings of the various drivers.

For Foomatic PPDs from OpenPrinting the "(recommended)" selection is defined in the Foomatic database (foomatic-db).

So the manufacturers usually set this in the *NickName lines, yes?

Some do it in their PPDs, for example HP.

Or do openprinting.org, or you (debian/ubuntu) guys?

openprinting.org, manufacturers, anyone who issues PPDs, see above. The distributions (Ubuntu/Debian) rarely change the "(recommended)" setting, only if it points to an unsuitable driver (bug). As I am maintaining both the Ubuntu/Debian packaging of the printing stuff and Foomatic upstream, I do the changing of "(recommended)" usually directly upstream.