Re: debian 5.0.7

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:55:05 +1100 B or J Cox <bj_cox@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Printer on usb:/dev/usb/lp0 was not automatically configurable by
> Debian.

May it is absolutely too late, but, may it will be of help to someone
in future.

I can easily install those kind of printers (meaning the interface - lp
through usb) using the web server for cups and specifying
"connection" as

parallel:/dev/usb/lp0

Also, it should be noted - in my experience it is so, that the printer
does not appear so in /dev - sometimes it is like the above line,
another, lp2, another, as usb://Unknown/ - in the cups web server - I
mean the local one at port 631.

So, at printing time it is necessary to notice the device then choose
the appropriate option in device section of the printing program.

Having said that I had no headache w/ the kшnd of printers any more.