Re: Provide libijs packages as a binary package of Ghostscript?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 07:58:12PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
On 01/25/2011 10:04 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
I think perhaps you miss my point:

If libijs is maintained for Debian as part of the GPL Ghostscript project, and we also (in the future) maintain GNU Ghostscript, then GNU Ghostscript will need to depend on GPL Ghostscript, making it impossible to ship a release of Debian with only GNU Ghostscript, not GPL Ghostscript.

If, on the other hand, Debian maintain libijs as a separate project, then a release of Debian (or a derivative thereof) can choose to ship with GNU Ghostscript and not GPL Ghostscript.

The question is not whether upstream development happens as part of GPL Ghostscript or not, but whether we should maintain a library separately which is _usable_ seaparately.

AFAIK GNU Ghostscript is a fork of GPL Ghostscript. Does GNU Ghostscript not ship ijs/, too?

Upstream they probably do, yes.

A Debian packaging should equally have it stripped (or ignored) and use a separately packaged libijs, to avoid code duplication. And, as explained above, to not essentially have one Ghostscript depend on another thereby loosing a benefit of maintaining both.

What are the exact differences between GNU GS and GPL GS?

Don't know. Just noticed somewhere bugfixes trickling into the GNU one in a different pace than the GPL one.

I am quite annoyed learning (from you) that GPL GS coordinates releases with Ubuntu instead of distro-agnosticly "release early, release often"!

Bug-fixes are hanging unreleased for a _very_ long time.

But really this shouldn't be about whether GNU GS is relevant for Debian to package in particular, but about the principle of keeping libijs separate. Another use case is _users_ of Debian wanting to compile GNU GS themselves but rely on most possible underlying libraries security-maintained by Debian.

 - Jonas