Re: Provide libijs packages as a binary package of Ghostscript?

On 01/25/2011 08:27 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Another argument for keeping libijs separate:

I consider packaging GNU Ghostscript, which seem to have a slightly
different development pace and thus might be interesting e.g. for
security concerned users, and would also make the recent RC issue of
ghostscript less dramatic, as there would be the option of ripping out
one of the implementations temporarily, if multiple ones were available
to choose from.

Yes, I know that this was tried in the past, and I have not yet decided
to try it out again, just considering, so far...

Please do not remove GPL Ghostscript from Debian. It is the real upstream and so bug fixes and new features get available at first via GPL GS and reach GNU GS only with a delay. I have even upstream commit access to GPL GS and so I can get in my fixes quickly. If Debian switches to only use GNU GS I will not be able to maintain one and the same Ghostscript package for both Debian and Ubuntu. In Ubuntu the use of GPL GS is essentially important to have always the most up-to-date code.