Re: Renaming HPLIP printer driver packages

Le jeudi, 20 octobre 2011 21.50:47, Till Kamppeter a écrit :

> First, we need to determine which binary packages of HPLIP are printer
> driver packages. Only these get renamed, all the others not.

My point of view thereabout is that a user should know, when seeing a
"printer-driver-*" package that "if I want my ${FOO} printer to work, I should
find one amongst those to make it work". So the printer-driver-* packages
should provide "what makes it work", either directly or trough dependencies.

> Printer driver packages are those which provide PPD files, and these are
> the packages which use the PPD updating facility of our CUPS package.

Hmm; not really. As far as I understand it, e.g. c2050 is a printer driver
package, and it only provides two binaries: c2050 and ps2lexmark.

> So> we simply look into /usr/share/cups/ppd-updaters/

Again, I'm not sure that's a good-enough measure.

> and by that we identify the following packages as printer driver packages:
>
> - hpijs
> - hpijs-ppds
> - hplip
> - hplip-cups
>
> The simple approach would be to rename all these simply adding
> "printer-driver-" to the beginning of each package name. No problem with
> hpijs, hpijs-ppds, and hplip-cups.

Hmm. What is the difference between hpijs and hpijs-ppds ? Wouldn't it be
possible to pyppd-compress the PPDs of the latter and merge them back
(again?). This is confusing (to me…).

> hplip I do not like to rename, as it contains mainly the core of the HPLIP
> software suite and only ais an additional part it contains PostScript PPD
> files. So I would split the hplip binary package into hplip and hplip-
> postscript and then rename the hplip-postscript package. The hplip-
> postscript will contain the compressed archive of the PostScript PPDs plus
> the /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcac filter, which is used by PostScript color
> lasers to control access to color printing.

Sounds sane, but I confess that most of the hpijs <-> hplip picture is still
blurry to me.

Cheers,
--
OdyX