Re: package c2esp 18-4 Kodak esp5250 printer issues

Cia Watson wrote:

> I wasn't sure if I should send this here, or file a bug report, or what?

Hi Cia, and thanks for your mail,

Actually, a bugreport would give you the bonus of having a clearly defined
way of tracking your issue down.

Let's answer nevertheless.

> I thought I'd start here.  I am currently booting to testing / wheezy, and
> had previously installed the driver for 64bit from sourceforge:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/  but it stopped working.
>
> I discovered there was a package in synaptic for sid for this printer and
> I temporarily enabled the sid repo to install the newer version of cups
> (1.5) and the 18-4 version of the c2esp package. I also did a 'make
> uninstall' for the previously installed driver. However with this new
> one it still won't print.

In which order did you do that ? Do you have a /usr/lib/cups/filter/c2esp
file available ?

> It works in squeeze just fine, 64bit (via dual-boot, and I have an old
> laptop running 32bit squeeze, it prints fine with both of them.) The
> initial error log when attempting to do a test print shows:
>
> W [22/Aug/2011:10:04:52 -0700] failed to CreateProfile:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name
> org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files W
> [22/Aug/2011:10:04:52 -0700] failed to CreateDevice:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name
> org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files

This is because you don't have colord installed. This should be harmless.

> E [22/Aug/2011:10:04:52 -0700] KODAK_ESP_5200_Series_AiO: File
> "/usr/lib/cups/filter/c2esp" not available: No such file or directory

I suspect you installed the c2esp package first (installing said file) and
"make uninstall" afterwards, deleting it…

> I then found a message on the related sourceforge site for an error about
> the filter and it suggested setting the log level to debug, which I've
> done and I have output that I can send or upload some place if needed.

Let's try to solve this step-by-step. If you have the c2esp package
correctly installed, you should have the /usr/lib/cups/filter/c2esp file and
thus, you would not have the above error.

> I installed the printer in a browser using the localhost:631 address, and
> in the area to select printer file or browse for a ppd it actually shows
> the option 'Kodak ESP 5200 (en)' listed twice. I installed the printer
> using the first one, then deleted it and installed using the 2nd one and
> had the same result both times. Also I looked under /usr/share/ppd and
> there are no ppd's for this printer after I did the 'make uninstall'. The
> only place I found a ppd was under /etc/cups/ppd so I then modified the
> printer and pointed to that file and it still wouldn't print. It's
> connected via usb, if that matters. And my firewall was not enabled.

You shouldn't need to point CUPS to specific PPDs. Since its 18-2 version,
c2esp ships its "PPD" files into the /usr/lib/cups/driver/c2esp file, which
CUPS knows and uses. Then simply using the cups webinterface should setup
you printer correctly, with c2esp.

Cheers,

OdyX