[RC: #598639] foomatic-gui/printconf: Not working in modern CUPS environments

Le Thursday 30 September 2010 19:39:18 Till Kamppeter, vous avez écrit :
> Package: foomatic-gui
> Version: 0.7.9.3
> Severity: serious
>
> The printer setup tools provided by the foomatic-gui source package,
> printconf and foomatic-gui are not usable any more in modern CUPS
> environments.
>
> (…) [See bug log.]
>
> Possible fixes are:
>
> 1. (A lot of work and re-inventing the wheel) Fix the software to poll
> the PPD/driver info and the PPDs itself from CUPS when CUPS is in use.
>
> 2. Let foomatic-gui and printconf conflict with the "cups" package, so
> that they do not get installed on systems where the printing environment
> is CUPS.
>
> 3. Remove the foomatic-gui package from Debian altogether (recommended
> if upstream development has been discontinued).
>
> Recommended replacement for CUPS users is system-config-printer.
>
>     Till

Hi dear Release Team,

as discussed over IRC and at the Bern BSP, I propose to remove the foomatic-gui
source package altogether from Squeeze (at least), for the following reasons:

* Doesn't work with CUPS (the most used printing system), see this bug log,
* Is basically not maintained, see the bugs reported on it, and their ages.

This would have the following consequences:
* many users without upgrade path (see the popcon numbers) but the functionality
is available in other packages, spread in various desktop tools,
* a bug on tasksel, (printconf is in desktop and print-server)
* a bug on brdesktop-common, which recommends printconf.

As further argueing, the first proposed solution is probably not doable at that
point in freeze and the second solution proposed (conflict against cups) would
not help much, as tasks should be updated anyway.

As for the future, as this is a native package, it has to get updated by his
upstream maintainer to be useful, and I don't see the Printing Team taking over
that task.

Release Team; what do you think ?

Cheers, OdyX

--
Didier Raboud, proud Debian Maintainer (DM).
CH-1020 Renens