Unable to print to HP Deskjet 940c

I have CUPS setup under Debian "Lenny" an an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 CPU with 4G
of RAM.  I cannot get the system to print to my HP Deskjet 940c printer
attached via USB.  The system says it sees the printer, and the drive seems
to be properly installed, but if I send a print job to the printer, it just
sits there in the queue.  This was working previously with an HP PhotoSmart
3210 printer attached via the Ethernet LAN, but the PhotoSmart printer died,
so I need to use the 940c.  Where should I start my troubleshooting?