A4 and duplex printing

Hi all,

I'm using Debian stable and trying to print in A4, duplex mode on a network printer. I've made some progress, but I think I'm missing one piece still. In CUPS (v1.1.23), I've selected "duplex" and my media size is A4.

        I have this in a2ps.cfg:

##  Enable duplex printing

        And this in a2ps-site.cfg:

##  Change libpaper to a4

If I print a PS file, it comes out on A4 and duplex mode. So far, so good...

        Now, I try to print the same file with:

lp -d <printer name> -o sides=two-sided-long-edge file.ps

        or even with just

lp file.ps

It doesn't come out, even though the CUPS interface lists the job as being "completed". It was a dvi file made with "dvips -tA4". If I remove the -tA4, it comes out double-sided, but on letter-size paper (There is letter-sized paper in the printer, but it is better not to use it since it isn't the standard paper size here, which makes it expensive to acquire.)

As for the Debian FAQ, I can confirm that libpaper1 is installed, /etc/papersize says "a4" and just for good measure, I set the PAPERSIZE environment variable to "A4".

lpoptions returns a single line: "job-sheets=none,none _kde-filters=true".

If anyone has any suggestions on where should I look or what I may have done wrong, please let me know. I've noticed no obvious pattern so far and am quite confused about it...

Ray