Re: CUPS 1.2: /dev uris will not work (by design)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Marc Wilson wrote:

>> Note to maintainer: telling CUPS to advertise printers but setting up
>> cupsd.conf to only allow connections from localhost doesn't exactly work
>> too well.  Certainly neither my several OS X machines nor my Windows XP
>> machine think much of that.
>
> File this as a bug, severity normal or important.

I think there are additional issues with browsing and CUPS 1.2.  I
spent quite a lot of the weekend trying to set up browsing between two
systems, and I *still* haven't got it working.  And this is with a
correctly hand-configured cupsd.conf.

For the OP, see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-printing/2006/06/msg00340.html

>> We won't even talk about why the web interface offers to let you edit
>> cupsd.conf (to fix things, no doubt), but the package seems to set the
>> permissions on that file to make it impossible.

AFAICT, this is only an issue for upgrades.  This feature is of
dubious value.  See

> This is another bug.  That part of the web interface should be clearly
> labelled as "disabled" when CUPS cannot write to its files.  I don't think
> we should bother waiting for upstream on this one.

Agreed.  However, I think this should be disabled, because it can't
save back a sane configuration.  It scrambled my cupsd.conf when I
tried it out.

Regards,
Roger

--