Re: Boot issues with debian-installer on ppc64

Hi Richard,

On Tue, 2024-02-27 at 22:51 -0600, Richard Allen wrote:
> I tried these on my Dual-processor PCI-X G5.
>
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/tests/ppc64-test/debian-12.0.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/tests/ppc64-test-new/debian-12.0.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso
>
> Both behaved the same way. Got to the installer menu, I choose an install mode,
> showed "loading..." for approximately 1 minute bit, then showed normal messages like
> 'Quiescing OpenFirmware...' and 'Booting Linux via __start()', and within 1 second Linux printed:
>
> smp_core99_probe
> smp_core99_kick_cpu
> smp_core99_kick_cpu_done
> smp_core99_bringup_done
>
> but after that nothing more. After 1-2 minutes the fans spun up fully.  After 3-5 minute I gave
> up and held power button to power down.
>
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2024-02-25/
>
> This one got to the four smp_core99_* messages, but the fans did not spin up. I waited 12 minutes
> but the screen did not update.

Thanks for the confirmation. So my tests with QEMU accurately emulate the behavior of a real G5
which means I can debug the problem much easier.

The interesting bit is the kernel in question works fine when installing it later instead of booting
from CD, so it might not be a kernel issue after all. However, I can no clue yet what may have changed
in either debian-installer or debian-cd to break the installation CD.

I will need to perform more debugging.

> Is there anything I can help to diagnose from my end?

Not at the moment. I need to perform more tests to figure out what went wrong.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer