Re: How to upgrade Debian 8 stable to the unofficial port (iMac G5)

On 24-02-13 09:28, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On Tue, 2024-02-13 at 08:20 +0100, tuxayo wrote:
I installed the last offcial Debian 8 iso. Picking "install" and not
"install32" IIUC I have a ppc64 install.

No, you still have a 32-bit PowerPC, i.e. powerpc installation. It's
just that your kernel is 64 bits instead of 32 bits.

Oh ok, thanks for avoiding me trouble due to not knowing this :)

I'm afraid that's not trivially possible although not impossible. However,
crossgrading a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system requires a lot of knowledge
as there are a lot of pitfalls and I would advise against it.

Yeah, not doing that, there are already enough odds stacked again me for trying to use such old hardware for browsing the modern web ^^"

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2024-01-31/debian-12.0.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso

Thanks was indeed this one I had in mind, thanks :)

Cheers,

--
tuxayo