Debian 12 on iMac G5

Hi all,

in the meantime I succeeded in installing Debian 12.0.0 on iMac G5 with radeon graphic card.

I used ISO-Image 2023-06-18, installed default with tasksel KDE plasma, LXDE and LXQT.

I had to insert "radeon.agpmode=1 radeon.modeset=1 video=offb.off nomodeset" in grub to get graphic mode.

Now firmware R300_cp.bin, b43 and isight.fw is missing. I can not install this firmware from the indicated sources.

/etc/debian_version is telling me, it is trixie/sid, but 12.0.0 should be bookworm stable.

Can I change /etc/debian_version to bookworm and change the /etc/apt/sources.list to bookworm? Should I download the missing firmware by hand and install it?

With LXDE I can work although it is rather slow. Firefox hangs, konqueror will not show google. Are there any tricks to make that better?

Otherwise the iMac G5 is not usable.

Best regards

Claudia