Re: Mate Desktop crashes

Hi Christoph,

On Tue, 2024-01-23 at 18:19 +0100, Christoph wrote:
> Hello, im actually running Debian 12 on a Powermac G5 Quad with a
> Geforce 6600 with Mate Desktop. (I could only install this desktop
> because the installations fails if i try another)

I am using XFCE which works even fine on my iBook G4.

>  Suddenly it crashes randomly and most times some Text is shown as skin colored blocks.
>  If i use the Desktop over RDP with XRDP everything is normal and nothing crashes.
>  The system is still "usable" if you know how to use the command line by pressing Ctrl +tab and F1 to F6
> (...)
>  I don't know if its a bug in Mate (seems not) or a bug in the driver or the display manager.
> I use the display manager that installs default with the Mate Desktop

Please check the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, /home/$(your username)/.xsession-errors
and /var/log/syslog. Also, check the output of of the "dmesg" command.

If you find anything that references "mate" such as "mate-session" with an error message,
please post it here.

The log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log is certainly most interesting, please post it here.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer