Re: What are the current available browser options for debian-ppc64?

Hi Ken,

Ken Cunningham wrote:
> I am aware of a few projects out there working to try to keep a repackaged TenFourFox going that have *.deb archives available, and I think there are some official channels for a few different browsers inside debian (Firefox, Epiphany).

I don't know what the situation of TFF on Linux is. From what I remember
it had some pretty advanced areas, but when I check its code others were
left behind. It is very well tweaked for big-endian though.

SeaLion is from what I know a pretty straight Firefox port, I don't know
if it has specific PPC fixes, one should ask Matt/wicknix.

Firefox recently compiles and is available again, but did not work for
me or, in the case it did, was excruciatingly slow even drawing its own
interface and had glitches. THe issue is that skia explicitely does not
support BigEndian anymore and was not interested in patches.
Also, there are some graphic things which were broken since Firefox 45
and never fixed on big-endian.
The proposed patch (by Cameron) was not accepted back then. TenFourFox
and ArcticFox incorporate it though.

Contributors are always well accepted :) There are issues to work on. :)

> Does anyone have or know about a browser they use on debian ppc64 they would feel comfortable to recommend?

Of course I use ArcticFox on PPC. Since version 43.0 it works again on PPC.
It is "only" AF though, don't expect Firefox 118 compatibility. No
github or facebook...
But e.g. Wikipedia works well with the new theme and I hope 43.1 will
bring some nice things with.

> Does it involve any installation trickery? If so, some short notes on how to get it installed would be appreciated.

ArcticFox does involve no trickery, neither building nor installing. It
builds with a current GCC and binaries can just be untarred and loaded.
I do not provide deb packages, they were contributed in the past though.

Riccardo