Re: Kernel Panic 6.5.0-1 PPC

On 9/28/23 2:38 AM, Dan Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am seeing a kernel panic on my PowerMac3,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> running debian with kernel 6.5.0-1.
>
> It seems to be working well with:
>
> Linux powermac-g4 6.4.0-4-powerpc #1 Debian 6.4.13-1 (2023-08-31) ppc
> GNU/Linux
>
> I have a photo of the panic screen which I can attach if useful.

On a PowerMac G4 MDD (2 CPUs, 2 GiB), I tested the following stock
kernels with a current Debian SID installation:

v6.5 : smp works, non-smp crashes (oops panic)
v6.6-rc3 : smp works, non-smp works

Since the latest stock kernel (v6.6-rc3) works for both smp and non-smp,
a bisect may not needed (whatever the problem was with v6.5 non-smp
appears to have been fixed).

For these tests, I started with a config file derived from Debian's
"config-6.5.0-1-powerpc-smp" (a compressed version is attached to this
message as "config-test.xz"). Note that I'm not able to create Debian's
powerpc kernel and modules using the config files that are distributed
in /boot (if anyone knows the location of the config files that Debian
uses to create its powerpc kernels and modules, please post a link).

-Stan Johnson