Question on installing Debian ppc on iBook with small HD

CC-ing you at your suse email and hopefully on the powerpc list-serve??

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 3:32 AM Adrian Glaubitz <adrian.glaubitz@suse.com> wrote:
Hi Fritz!

We should probably move the discussion over to debian-powerpc [1].

The partitioning scheme was changed to accommodate the switch from Yaboot to GRUB as the
default bootloader.

> If running "custom" with the "/" "/home" and "swap" partitions pointed to, would that not work??

It would still work. All you need is an HFS partition mounted to /boot/grub.

So, I got into the Net installer on an '04 iBook with 40GB HD, I have approx 11 GB set for what is right now Lubuntu 16.04, which is booting from Yaboot in the HFS partition sda2, but that partition showed as 10MB, using 323KB for OSX and yaboot.  When I was using the custom installer and went to that partition there was no option for "/boot" of any kind??  I thought that was because the partition is too small for grub??  which these days seems to need more space??  Like 200 MB or more??

Or, can I get the installer to use that HFS partition and finish out the install using it?  OR, do I need to carve out another HFS formatted partition from the 10.4 GB of space in which I now have / and /home together, AND then run the installer?  And, then, what would be the minimum space needed for grub to work?

> I haven't taken the time to check the Debian site . . . but today is Bookworm day in my
> daily desktop driver . . . so I'm close.

Yes, indeed.

Adrian