Re: Collaborating on the HFS code

On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 5:20 AM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>  [...]
>
> There is currently one limitation with the HFS patch as it doesn't allow setting
> a custom volume name and hard-wires it to "untitled" [4]. This is because the
> original code uses an Apple-specifc function to convert UTF-8 into Mac encoding [5],
> if someone has a suggestion how to implement this encoding conversion on Linux, I
> would be happy to integrate this change into the (current) »hfsprogs« package as
> this would fix an open bug [6].

Apple has a modified iconv, if I recall correctly. It is modified for
their filesystem, and it properly handles filenames on OS X. I don't
know about MacOS 9, however.

An open source port of Apple iconv with utf-8 support is available at
https://github.com/fumiyas/libiconv-utf8mac .

Jeff