Re: How are CHRP bootinfo icons formatted?

On 06/04 2023 09:30 Ben Westover wrote:
On 6/4/23 3:05 AM, Ben Westover wrote:
On 6/4/23 2:57 AM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
The thing with the first and second icon: I now remember that I had an
idea what it could mean, but didn't get around testing it: Could it be
active/inactive, i.e. not selected for boot (first icon) and selected
boot option (second icon)?

Interesting idea, I'll have to test that.

You were right! The mystery of the second bitmap has been solved.
Attached are two videos. In the first video, I made the second bitmap
the same as the first one, and in the second video, I made the second
bitmap white. While I am holding down the mouse button to select the
menu item, the second icon displays, and as soon as I release the mouse
button and the item is selected, it goes back to showing the first icon.

Thanks for testing! I had no idea it would only be visible while being
clicked. But now I think I saw that when I was playing with old Mac OS X
versions like Rhapsody and the Developer Previews of Mac OS X 10.0 or
so... And that's probably where /my idea/ (haha) originated...

We have now solved all of the mysteries except for the most important
one, which is, which hex values correspond to exactly which colors?

Yes, but then again: it's better to have some icon than no icon. So I'm
very happy if the Debian Swirl symbol is included with the unofficial
PowerPC port of Debian, because this makes it much more intuitive, so it
does make sense to include this "feature".

So, again, thanks Ben and thanks Adrian for your continued work. It took
some time, but now we're closer to a better PowerMac experience than ever!

The correct color pallet is the next step.
And the full support for HFS and blessing as well. But there's more to
do than just that, because GRUB cannot start Mac OS/Mac OS X, and so an
additional stage before GRUB will be needed, and if that is a CHRP
script with a boot selection like the one from yaboot for selecting Mac
OS, things get way more complicated in one very particular way:
remembering the previous boot selection.

See also:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/02/msg00051.html

Alternatively GRUB would have to be enhanced to support selecting OF
boot options (OF chainloading)?

Anyway, thanks for testing the function of the second icon. Well done!
Linux User #330250