Re: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good

Hi!

On Sun, 2023-05-28 at 12:19 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Yes, that is the main problem. FWIW, I have reached out to Apple's Legal
> Department and asked them whether it would be possible to relicense the
> »hfs« package under a more permissive license such as MIT or any of the
> BSD licenses.
>
> The source code for the HFS(+) filesystem utilities used to be part of the
> »diskdev_cmds« [1] package but was later split into its own package called
> »hfs« [2].
>
> I argued that the »hfs« package is required for interoperability and it would
> make it for distributions much easier to ship the »hfs« package if its covered
> by a truly free license.
>
> I guess that the fact that the HFS code got split out of »diskdev_cmds« could
> make it easier for Apple to change the license.

Alternatively, it would also help if Paragon released their HFS+ code [1] under a
free license. They have done that for their NTFS code already [2], so chances are
they would do it for the HFS+ stuff as well.

I have reached out to the Paragon developer who got the NTFS merged into the upstream
Linux kernel. Maybe they're willing to do that with the HFS+ code as well.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer