Re: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good

Hi Adrian,

On 5/10/23 3:36 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, 2023-05-10 at 11:25 +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
>> On 10.05.23 10:24, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> If we could get Apple PowerMac machines to boot from a FAT filesystem, the licensing
>>> issue with hfsprogs would no longer be a headache. According to Apple's documentation,
>>> booting from a FAT boot partition should work [4] but I have never gotten around to
>>> testing that.
>>>
>>> So, if anyone has the time and enthusiasm to be able to get an Apple PowerMac to boot
>>> off a FAT partition, please give it a try and let me know. If it works, we can replace
>>> the current bootloader installation in grub-installer [2] and fix the issue for good.
>>
>> See [5] for an implementation from end of 2018 (worked for me on a 11,2
>> Power Mac G5 and a Mac mini G4). The discussion that followed might be
>> also of interest.
>>
>> [5]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2018/12/msg00054.html
>
> Does your approach include a blessing tool? I want to avoid messing around with the NVRAM
> as this approach is very fragile. A blessed bootloader, on the other hand, is automatically
> displayed in the boot menu and booted unless any alternatives are present. It's therefore
> much more robust.
>
> Adrian

With this disk layout,

root@ppc-g5:~# parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WDBNCE0010P (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: mac
Disk Flags:

Number Start   End     Size    File system    Name            Flags
 1     512B    32.8kB  32.3kB                 Apple
 2     32.8kB  1081kB  1049kB  hfs            Apple_Bootstrap boot
 3     1081kB  43.0GB  42.9GB  hfs+           Leopard
 4     43.0GB  85.9GB  42.9GB  hfs+           Tiger
 5     85.9GB  223GB   137GB   hfs+           Users
 6     223GB   241GB   17.2GB  ext3           Debian_7
 7     241GB   258GB   17.2GB  ext3           Debian_sid
 8     258GB   301GB   42.9GB  ext3           Gentoo
 9     301GB   303GB   2147MB  linux-swap(v1) swap            swap
10     303GB   657GB   354GB   ext3           data
11     657GB   1000GB  344GB   hfs+           Archive

I think Apple_Bootstrap has to be either an HFS or an Extended HFS
partition. I tried creating fat, vfat, and ext2 filesystems on
Apple_Bootstrap, with the same contents, and the system booted from the
first HFS partitiion. If some program "blesses" another partition, then
it appears the G5 will try to boot from that partition -- when that has
happened, I have had to boot using the Debian 7.8 installation CD in
rescue mode to run "ybin -v" from Debian 7.8 to re-bless the
Apple_Bootstrap partition, though there is likely an easier way to
"re-bless" it.

There is some Gentoo documentation that says a "/boot" partition can be
configured as an ext2 partition, and the system will boot from that
partition if it's "blessed", but I haven't tried that:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB_on_Open_Firmware_(PowerPC)

I still use yaboot (I haven't found any way to configure GRUB to
dual-boot Linux and Mac OS X). My yaboot.conf file specifies
"/boot/vmlinux" and "/boot/initrd.img" for each Linux distribution, then
I use symbolic links in the individual root filesystems to boot the
actual kernel and initrd that I want. In yaboot, I use "x" to boot
Leopard and "m" to boot Tiger (and of course "c" to boot a CD or DVD).

One advantage to using an Apple_Bootstrap partition, instead of an
Apple_HFS partition, is that the Apple_Bootstrap partition doesn't
normally ever have to be mounted, unless yaboot.conf needs to be
changed. In addition, even if the internal PRAM battery dies and power
is lost, the G5 will (I think) continue to boot using the
Apple_Bootstrap partition, even if it is not "blessed" (at least that's
what happens on a Lombard G3 PowerBook).

-Stan