Re: Xorg segfaults on iMac G3 with Rage 128 Pro

On Sun, 2023-04-16 at 15:08 -0400, Ben Westover wrote:

> I'm probably doing something wrong (never used gdb before), but Xorg
> closes almost instantly after I run it so there's not enough time to
> launch gdb before it's already segfaulted. It sounds like these tips are
> for when Xorg launches and runs for a bit but crashes when a specific
> action is performed.

There is also the case where you launch Xorg via gdb and then run it.

   $ gdb `which Xorg`
   (gdb) run
   (gdb) bt full

Also, you will need to either install dbgsym packages beforehand
(possibly using find-dbgsym-packages from debian-goodies), or install
and enable libdebuginfod-common to let gdb auto-download debug symbols.

Apart from running Xorg in gdb directly, another method is to install
systemd-coredump, enable the Xorg Option NoTrapSignals to disable Xorg
handling its own crashes, then load the crash dump file into gdb using
`sudo coredumpctl debug`.

PS: I'm subscribed, no need to CC me.

--
bye,