Re: ATI mach64 driver disappeared

Hi Adrian(s)!

Hi Riccardo!

On 11/14/22 23:32, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
did you make the driver available somewhere?

I just tried an update today and same old issue:

  xserver-xorg-video-mach64 : Depends: xorg-video-abi-24 but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Works fine here. Did you forget to run "apt update" or update the GPG keys for APT?

no, I didn't forget. I did apt-get update and it still stuck and so it happened several times, apt --fix also.

However, using aptitude, dependencies got fixed differently and a newer version of both xserver-xorg-video-mach64 and xorg server where pulled in. hundreds of packages and like 2 GBytes of packages unlocked. I took quite some time on the old iBook even with an SSD, but then, next reboot, all there: new kernel, X11 working!

I updated GNUstep from sources and tested. Things are not perfect.

Xorg takes a long time to come up, windowmaker and xterm show, but all GNUstep apps have some glitches in drawing of windows around the window decorations. like some update events where missing. Instead of window borders I see garbage data, and the window content looks a bit shifted, but the rest is correct.

I will test other apps and also try to understand more. I will try switching between 16 and 24 bits. I hope it is not more bitrot in the old driver, I already had to disable most of its acceleration.

Riccardo

PS: screenshot pictures posted on the linux ppc facebook group.