Re: systemd being pulled in during dist-upgrade

On 2/20/22 12:55 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 2/20/22 20:32, Stan Johnson wrote:
>>> That's an or-condition, i.e. cron or anacron or cron-daemon or systemd-sysv,
>>> see also the debian/control file of the logrotate package [1].
>>
>> I do have cron, anacron and cron-daemon installed, so the OR condition
>> should have been met. So perhaps a dependency is broken somewhere, but I
>> don't know how to determine where the problem is.
>
> Try uninstalling logrotate and systemd-sysv, then try installing the logrotate
> package and see whether the systemd-sysv package is going to be pulled in.

Adrian, thanks for your response.

I restored from a backup (that has sysvinit-core installed).

The package systemd-sysv isn't installed, and if I try to install it,
then systemd is pulled in (as I would expect; I selected "n").

The package logrotate is installed.
# dpkg --list | grep logrotate
ii  logrotate   3.19.0-2   powerpc   Log rotation utility

If I delete logrotate and try adding it back (I said "n"), it does not
pull in systemd.

So now, with logrotate not installed:

-----
# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
required:
  libperl5.32 libwebp6 linux-config-5.15 linux-source-5.15
  orphan-sysvinit-scripts perl-modules-5.32
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libwacom2 sysvinit-core
  dbus-user-session libjim0.79 libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy
  libmm-glib0 libnss-systemd libpam-systemd libperl5.34
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libqmi-glib5 libqmi-proxy libwacom-bin
  libwacom9 libwebp7 libxcvt0 linux-source-5.16 modemmanager
  perl-modules-5.34 pkexec policykit-1 polkitd systemd
  systemd-sysv systemd-timesyncd usb-modeswitch
  usb-modeswitch-data xcvt
  fwupd libgd3 libimlib2 libinput-bin libinput10
  liblocale-gettext-perl libmagickcore-6.q16-6
  libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libtiff5
  libwacom-common libwebpdemux2 libwebpmux3 linux-source
  linux-source-5.15 perl perl-base xserver-xorg-core
  xserver-xorg-input-libinput xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
  xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-radeon
  xserver-xorg-video-vesa
25 upgraded, 27 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 282 MB of archives.
After this operation, 222 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
-----

I see "apt-get check" comes back with nothing.

Let's see if I can isolate which package upgrade is triggering the
installation of systemd.

It's one of the first five (none of the others triggers systemd
installation). Let's try them one at a time:

fwupd -- YES
libgd3 -- NO
libimlib2 -- NO
libinput-bin -- NO
libinput10 -- NO

I'm not sure why fwupd would be triggering systemd.

# dpkg --list | grep -w fwupd
ii  fwupd   1.7.4-1   powerpc   Firmware update daemon

Removing and re-installing fwupd:

-----
# apt-get remove fwupd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
required:
  bolt libarchive13 libflashrom1 libftdi1-2 libfwupd2
  libfwupdplugin5 libgcab-1.0-0 libgpgme11 libgusb2
  libjcat1 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common
  libtss2-esys-3.0.2-0 libtss2-mu0 libtss2-sys1
  libtss2-tcti-cmd0 libtss2-tcti-device0 libtss2-tcti-mssim0
  libtss2-tcti-swtpm0 libxmlb2 tpm-udev usb.ids
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fwupd
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
After this operation, 8,115 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 65067 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fwupd (1.7.4-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.20-3) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
-----

-----
# apt-get install fwupd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  orphan-sysvinit-scripts
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  dbus-user-session dosfstools exfatprogs fuse gdisk libatasmart4
  libblockdev-crypto2 libblockdev-fs2 libblockdev-loop2
  libblockdev-part-err2 libblockdev-part2 libblockdev-swap2
  libblockdev-utils2 libblockdev2 libfuse2 libjim0.79
  libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libmm-glib0 libnss-systemd
  libntfs-3g89 libpam-systemd libparted-fs-resize0
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libqmi-glib5 libqmi-proxy libudisks2-0
  libvolume-key1 modemmanager ntfs-3g pkexec policykit-1 polkitd
  systemd systemd-sysv systemd-timesyncd udisks2 usb-modeswitch
  usb-modeswitch-data
Suggested packages:
  gir1.2-fwupd-2.0 libparted-dev systemd-container libtss2-rc0
  btrfs-progs f2fs-tools libblockdev-mdraid2 mdadm nilfs-tools
  reiserfsprogs udftools udisks2-bcache udisks2-btrfs
  udisks2-lvm2 udisks2-zram xfsprogs comgt wvdial
Recommended packages:
  secureboot-db fwupd-signed
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  sysvinit-core
  dbus-user-session dosfstools exfatprogs fuse fwupd gdisk
  libatasmart4 libblockdev-crypto2 libblockdev-fs2
  libblockdev-loop2 libblockdev-part-err2 libblockdev-part2
  libblockdev-swap2 libblockdev-utils2 libblockdev2 libfuse2
  libjim0.79 libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libmm-glib0
  libnss-systemd libntfs-3g89 libpam-systemd
  libparted-fs-resize0 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libqmi-glib5
  libqmi-proxy libudisks2-0 libvolume-key1 modemmanager
  ntfs-3g pkexec policykit-1 polkitd systemd systemd-sysv
  systemd-timesyncd udisks2 usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data
0 upgraded, 40 newly installed, 1 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 64.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
-----

And now:
# dpkg --list | grep -w fwupd
ii  fwupd  1.7.5-3    powerpc    Firmware update daemon

So there must have been a change in fwupd somewhere between version
1.7.4-1 and 1.7.5-3 that causes it to now require systemd. Please let me
know where I should report the issue.

And in case the output from aptitude helps (it no longer lists logrotate):

# aptitude why systemd
i   init         PreDepends systemd-sysv | sysvinit-core
i A systemd-sysv PreDepends systemd

# aptitude why systemd-sysv
i   init PreDepends systemd-sysv | sysvinit-core

thanks for your help

-Stan