Re: SSH, Telnet and FTP

Hello!

On 6/11/22 17:47, Stan Johnson wrote:
> Well, that's a good thing, some security experts might say, since those
> older versions of SSH have been found to have vulnerabilites and should
> no longer be used. Which would be a great argument if it were always
> possible to run the latest operating system on all platforms. The
> problem is that some of those SSH clients live in operating systems that
> can't be upgraded, such as Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or Mac OS
> 10.13.6 (High Sierra) on some hardware.

Are you sure you can't just install a more recent version of OpenSSH on
these machines? At least Macports has OpenSSH 9.0 which should still work
fine on older version of OSX [1].

> I should probably send this request to the SSH upstream developers, but
> it's likely that none of them would be interested in bringing back older
> features that are deemed to be less secure, unless a major distribution
> (such as Debian) supports the effort.

Well, at least the Debian PowerPC mailing list is probably the wrong list
to ask but rather debian-devel.

> I could also install my own copy of an older version of SSH, but sooner
> or later older versions will no longer compile on modern GNU/Linux
> distributions. Or I could just keep using telnet and ftp over already-secure
> internal networks.

Or just install a newer client version on the older operating systems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer