Re: Apple PowerPC G5 7,2 No GUI NVIDIA FX 5200

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 04:05:13PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> This may help: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>
> When I had problems with the NVIDIA card, I took the NVIDIA card out,
> and installed a Radeon card instead.

As mentioned, the proprietory NVIDIA drivers are x86 only.   The only
option is the reverse engineered open-source Nouveau (nv) driver.

I've had endless issues with the nouveau driver on my Quad G5.  It
worked years ago (kernel 3.0 era) but ever since the driver has been
unreliable or just non-operational.

Tangent: my Quad G5 is in pieces right now (cooling issue).  When I
resolve this I wanted to swap in a different card.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what *PCI-EXPRESS* card works well
with the current kernel and can support open firmware?

There was an official Apple Radeon X1900 G5 edition which was PCIe.
I've also read that people have used a Windows PC to flash Mac
firmware onto a PC X1950 PCIe card and this card may be more easily
available/cheaper.

If the OPs machine is PCI-X there are more X1900 options but I've no
idea how well the Radeon cards work with Linux.

Thanks

--
Tony Jones
SUSE Kernel Performance Team