Re: Off-Topic: G5 Open Firmware instability

On Fri, 13 May 2022 at 19:09, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
On 5/13/22 01:11, tonyj@suse.de wrote:
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-28/

> Overheating is common and I'm aware of the process to try to fix it
> but my concern is that the machine has also become totally unstable
> in Open Firmware (OF).
>
> Initially OF was stable but I noticed that the machine had stopped
> chiming at power on and in the course of trying the various fixes for
> this OF has become totally unstable.
> (...)
> I've tested the RAM (4 sticks of PC2-4200) in a PC with MemTestx86+
> and they are fine.  I've also tried swapping in different RAM.
>
> I've tried all of the usual fixes,  remove CMOS battery, power off
> for a day, clear NVRAM,  boot holding down power key to go thru
> programmers tone into OF.  This dinking is what made it worse :)

Sounds like bad capacitors [1] to me. Have you checked for any suspiciously
looking capacitors on the mainboard?

My first thought reading this thread was also capacitors. I'd check none are bulging/have leaked. Could also be capacitors inside the PSU so testing a known working PSU could also be quite a good idea.

Ed