Re: Testers on PowerMac needed - overwriting the boot-device in NVRAM

On 2022-03-25, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I would like to ask users running Debian on a real PowerMac machine
> (G3, G4, G5 etc) to help me verify a theory on the boot mechanism. In
> particular, the question is whether we can skip setting the
> boot-device in NVRAM in the grub-installer script which causes
> incompatibilities with the PowerMac emulation in QEMU [1].

I have a Dual PowerMac G5 (PowerMac7,2), PPC970 revision 2.2 (pvr 0039
0202).

I have both MacOSX and Linux installed. After clearing the boot-device
variable in NVRAM, the machine booted normally (into MacOSX).

I suppose it would be better if someone did the test on a system where
*only* Linux is installed, to make sure that OpenFirmware is able to
find GRUB without boot-device being set.

John Ogness