Re: systemd being pulled in during dist-upgrade

On 2/21/22 4:57 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

>> On Feb 21, 2022, at 10:52 AM, Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Small update...
>>
>> Well, looks like these two dependencies are not the cause. But checking
>> the differences between the "fwupd" package in buster ([2]) and bullseye
>> ([3]) there is a dependency on "libsystemd0" that is not included in the
>> respective package for buster. Checking the changelog the build dep was
>> introduced with 1.5.3-1:

Thanks, Frank!

If the dependency is on libsystemd0, then that should have been ok,
since I have libsystemd0 (but not systemd) installed:

# dpkg --list | grep libsystemd
ii  libsystemd0:powerpc   250.3-2   powerpc   systemd utility library

# aptitude why libsystemd0
i   libprocps7 Depends libsystemd0 (>= 209)

# aptitude why libprocps7
Manually installed, current version 2:3.3.15-2, priority optional
No dependencies require to install libprocps7

>> ```
>
> Yes, I saw that yesterday as well.
>
> I assume it’s required for EFI firmware updates to work properly as the machine needs to be rebooted for these.
>
> It should still work to boot into sysvinit even with systemd installed, however.
>
> Adrian

As far as I can tell, fwupd seems to be ok with systemd purged (possibly
because libsystemd0 is still installed as a separate package).

In my experience, installation of either sysvinit-core or systemd
requires that the other be removed, so I don't think I can use sysvinit
with systemd installed. But since libsystemd0 is a separate package, it
should be enough for fwupd to require libsystemd0 instead of systemd. If
that's already supposed to be happening, then it's not clear why an
installation of fwupd wanted to pull in systemd (perhaps systemd is a
prerequisite for libsystemd0, even though I can delete systemd without
deleting libsystemd0?).

I realize running Debian SID / bookworm is always likely to reveal
problems, and I have no problem with that. Thanks to Rick, Adrian and
Frank for looking into this issue.

-Stan