Re: X stopped working with 5.14 on iBook

Hello Stan,

thanks for the testing time.

I tested these kernels from mainline Linux on the Cube:

5.14.0 works
5.15.0-rc3 works
5.15.0-rc4-00019-g5af4055fa813 works

Kernel 5.14.9 from www.kernel.org also works.

Running "apt-get install kernel-source" downloads:
  "linux-source-5.14 (5.14.9-2)".

Compiling the downloaded kernel-source using Debian's .config file
"config.powerpc_none_powerpc.xz" resulted in a 200 MB kernel (perhaps
because it included all possible options), and I couldn't get it to boot (but I also didn't compile or install any modules). But compiling using
the same .config file (see attached) that I've been using for testing
5.13 kernels, and that I also used for the above kernels that worked,
results in a working 12 MB kernel, and X is also working:

# uname -a
Linux ppc-cube 5.14.9-pmac #2 SMP Wed Oct 6 21:38:58 MDT 2021 ppc GNU/Linux
# ls -l vmlinux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12382136 Oct  6 15:39 vmlinux

So I think the problem with the default kernel in Debian SID (5.14.0-2)
has already been fixed, or perhaps there was an issue with the options
that were selected for the .config file. Either way, it doesn't appear
that a bisect is needed.

Sorry I fail to understand fully. You cannot reproduce using Debian's config file with the current kernel: this is good news, since it means that possibly there is no upstream bug. However you were not able to build a Debian-like kernel: so it might still be something specific to the Debian configuration and/or building?

About the super-big kernel, I remember this, but there was a fix that Adrian suggested which I don't remember. That would be the cross-check.

Thanks,
Riccardo
--
Produly sent with GNUMail on Debian/PPC running on an iBook G3.