Re: Poll: Is anyone using nouveau driver on ppc64 system?

Adrian,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote on 10/8/2021 2:24 AM:
Hi Thomas!

On 10/7/21 23:41, Tom Grzybowski wrote:
I have a related question:  instead of us breaking what is working
by updating the kernel regularly, why don't we find a good working
kernel version and move on only when we can match that in terms of
functionality? Is there some "requirement" to always feature the
latest kernel?
That's unfortunately not possible at the moment as Debian Ports is a pure
unstable distribution which means we're rolling release.
Can't you still be rolling-release, but with an LTS kernel?

There are plans to add releases to Debian Ports but that would require
setting up an instance of Debian's release management software called
Britney [1] which is something someone from the release team needs
to do.

Perhaps there would be fewer barriers if someone were to prepare a "spin" of BE-ppc/ppc64 that is outside of the official Debian Ports. It seems like it would be possible to run our own instance of Britney2: https://release.debian.org/doc/britney/setting-up-britney.html

...but then the question would become "what else needs to be modified to make use of it"..

Adrian

[1] https://release.debian.org/doc/britney/