Re: Poll: Is anyone using nouveau driver on ppc64 system?

Tom Grzybowski wrote on the 7th of October 2021, 23:41 CEST:
I have a related question:  instead of us breaking what is working by updating the kernel regularly, why don't we find a good working kernel version and move on only when we can match that in terms of functionality?   Is there some "requirement" to always feature the latest kernel?

Well, for Debian unstable PPC64BE, this could be an option.

I found it worthwhile to update the kernels as they come along because
of additional features that come with new versions, e.g. btrfs gets
better sometimes (like async discard, which came in kernel 5.6), and to
get not only additional features but also valuable fixes, enhancements
and speed-ups (e.g.
https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.10.8-Released) I
kind of needed to upgrade...

The second thought that comes to my mind (which is long past at this
point) would be to detect introduced incompatibilities early-on. E.g.
since an earlier 5.x kernel still worked with nouveau and a later one
didn't, helping out with disecting the relevant kernel patches would
have been only possible when updating the kernel...

Yes, I also do wonder who still uses PPC64BE. I have two Power Macs G5
that I started to put Gentoo on. I wanted to get a working desktop Linux
on them.
Instead I found that KDE Plasma Desktop wasn't available and/or tested
on PPC64BE as well as problems with nouveau, so it is my experience that
it takes a lot of time to continue such a hobby project...

Linux User #330250