Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images 2021-09-23

Hi Adrian,

On Thu, 07 Oct 2021 11:19:30 +0100,
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello Marc!
>
> On 10/6/21 23:55, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > Finally got a chance to test this more thoroughly. It turns out that
> > the install is failing because of my odd install method (dump the
> > install image on the disk, boot on it, overwrite the install media
> > with the install).
>
> Well, that can't work. The installation media is used during installation
> to retrieve packages. It's not a pure network installation despite the name
> NETINST.
>
> The NETINST image should rather called SMALL because the basic set
> of packages is actually being sourced from CD. Only netboot images
> are installing everything over the network.
>
> > This used to work until your images from 23/9/2021, but fails with the
> > latest ones.
>
> That's pure accident. It's not expected to work, really.

Fair enough. It was good while it lasted! :D

> > However, using the disk to boot and then a USB key to
> > provide another set of install media worked perfectly, and I now have
> > a brand new XServe-G5!
>
> That's great. Since you have a kernel.org email address, maybe you
> can help work on the PowerPC kernel a bit ;-).

That's actually why I needed to bring this machine back to life after
10 years in storage. A bunch of the stuff I have dealt with recently
have cross-architecture effects, with some being a consequence of
bringing Linux up on some of the most recent Apple HW, oddly enough.

Hopefully, the HW is robust enough to last another decade!

Thanks,

	M.