Re: 5.14 fails to boot early on a PowerBook

Hello,

On 9/27/21 3:48 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded the kernel only PowerBook G4 (late model) and it doesn't
> boot. Quickly after exiting OF:
>
> root: recovering journal
> root: clean, 373541/5865472 files, 5215323/23437500 blocks
>
> and stays there forever.
>
> If I take the old 5.10 kernel it still boots. No "Recovering journal"
> message is issued. The "root: clean" is issued a little later - but it
> boots!
>
> Anybody tried 5.14 on PowerBooks? I will wait before upgrading my
> iBook too then.
>
> Riccardo

Have you tried the latest 5.14.8 kernel from www.kernel.org?

Which G4 PowerBook are using?

The "recovering journal" message could be a correction from a previous
failed boot. Are you able to access the system over a network when the
screen hangs?  If yes, does "dmesg" report anything interesting? Have
you tried "video=ofonly" on the kernel command line in case there's a
problem with the video driver? Can you send a link to the ".config" file
that you used to compile the kernel (or send it as an attachment)?

-Stan