Re: Some questions, plus hfsprogs is missing

On 4/24/21 10:32 PM, James Madgwick wrote:
> Having seen firefox packages in the repository, I was a little
> disappointed (although not surprised) to find they don’t run. The
> ‘Illegal instruction’ error I get looks similar to this:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/02/msg00025.html so not a
> new problem it seems. Maybe I’ll look at the browsers based the old
> firefox codebase
> (https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/02/msg00081.html).

Please wait until my fix for NSS has landed in Debian unstable so that the
SIGILL issue has been fixed. It doesn't really make much sense to try to
test Firefox before that.

> I’m unable to run fsck.hfs to fix this as the package hfsprogs does not
> exist (not found here:
> https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&arch=ppc64&searchon=names&keywords=hfsprogs).
> Did the name change? I see this package was recently fixed:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919532#32 &
> https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/hfsprogs/540.1.linux3-1. Hopefully
> this package can easily be added.

The hfsprogs package had to be moved to non-free because Apple's APSL license is
not considered DFSG-compliant [1] which is currently not available in Debian Ports
as Debian Ports has the packages of the "main" section only.

I have asked the Debian Ports FTP admins already to add "contrib" and "non-free"
for Debian Ports but so far that hasn't happened yet.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz