Re: VLC on G5 crash : illegal instruction

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 8:50 AM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 3/8/21 9:38 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> >> a cursory scan shows no evidence of the use of VSX there.
> >
> > If needed... I believe it is possible to disable PCRE2's JIT at configure time.
>
> We certainly shouldn't disable the whole JIT over a single instruction but rather
> check whether this instruction can be guarded on older POWER systems.
>
> But we need to find out first which instruction triggers the SIGILL.

forgot to say, gdb will have a command that prints out the raw binary
being executed and may also run disassembly on it.

https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Backtrace.html

display/i $pc might do it

disas /r /m $pc

or