Latest unstable on Beige G3

I pulled out my old Beige G3 recently, and I managed to get Debian unstable running under kernel 3.16 from jessie (see below for why) with no problems from the userland so far. However, there are some issues with installation and boot:

* The current builds of the unstable installer are not usable on an OldWorld Mac (including my Beige) because unstable no longer ships quik. I understand the newer images ship GRUB, and I'm wondering just how hard it'd be to get an OldWorld machine to boot an ELF GRUB, if an XCOFF GRUB is out of the question; I've looked at the GRUB source but they're complex enough that I haven't found the magic words to change the GRUB image type.

* Booting the included Linux 5.10 kernel from quik causes Open Firmware to DEFAULT CATCH:

copying OF device-tree...
Building dt strings...
Building dt structure...
Device tree strings 0x02a6b000 -> 0x02a6a0a4
Device tree struct  0x02a6c000 -> 0x003ffa10
Quiescing Open Firmware...
Booting Linux via __start() @ 0x00510000...
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at %SRR: 00549358 %SRR1: 00003070

* So far, I have only tested this on my Beige G3 with OF version 2.0f1. I no longer have any OF 1.0.5 machines, and I'm not sure what version my 6360 runs (though I can get it out and check if need be).

-lee