Re: Workaround for installing Debian onto PowerMacs (2020-02-02 image)

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021, at 4:57 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 2/3/21 1:44 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > So I tried this.  I installed from the 2021-02-02 NETINST ppc64 on my G5 powermac.
> > When it got to the end and wanted to reboot, I switched to the F2 console and ran
> > the above routine.  Then I allowed it to reboot.
>
> You probably did not copy the instructions 1:1. Every character is important.
>
> You can verify the correct path with:
>
> # nvram --print-config=boot-device
>
> Can you paste the output here?

OK, here's the output.

~ # mount -o bind /dev/ /target/dev/
~ # mount -o bind /proc/ /target/proc/
~ # mount -o bind /sys/ /target/sys/
~ # chroot /target
# /bin/bash
root@kmac:/# grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub
Installing for powerpc-ieee1275 platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
root@kmac:/# nvram --print-config=boot-device
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@-1/@0:2,\\BootX
root@kmac:/# export boot_device=$(nvram --print-config=boot-device)
root@kmac:/# nvsetenv boot-device ${boot_device%%\\\\BootX}\\grub