Re: partman no longer hangs on powerpc

On 2/1/21 4:19 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have created fresh installation images for the Debian Ports architectures today [1]
> and one very important change is a new upstream version of parted that was just [2]
> released and uploaded to Debian unstable [3].
>
> Testing the powerpc image on my iBook G4 showed that partman is no longer hanging
> and the partioner starts up normally. I can therefore get back to fixing the bootloader
> installation for Apple PowerMac systems as I can finally test the images myself again.
>
> Feel free to test the images and report any issues besides the GRUB issue which I am
> going to work on tomorrow.
>
> Adrian
>
>> [1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-02-01/
>> [2] https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=9924
>> [3] https://packages.qa.debian.org/p/parted/news/20210130T003446Z.html

I am jumping onto this right now !

I had almost lost all faith in my Apple PowerMac G5 stack ever working
again and even in the FreeBSD world it is becoming *nearly* a lost
cause. These are really old machines after all with somewhat oddball
"open" firmware.

But it would be nice to have another big endian platform around other
than all my SPARC stuff. Of which I have stacks and stacks. That too has
a real problem somewhere in grub-mkconfig process but that is off topic
here.  Sort of.

OKay .. jumping on this now!

--
Dennis Clarke