Re: iMac G5 "windfarm"

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Once Linux is fully installed, the system runs quiet when doing nothing (console prompt) and
remains quiet when doing several things (also unexpected ones).
There were multiple bugs in the windfarm drivers in the upstream kernel such as [1], make sure
you are running the latest Debian kernel before reporting any such problems.

I have run 5.9 for a while, just updated with 5.10. I still notice the fan is run apparently at two speeds: minimum... or maximum, in "short burts" when Overtemp is detected, however 5.10 appears to be a little better...

I also know why I had (and continue to have) issues with updating the new kernel. It is because I had to resort to yaboot... and was spoiled by long GRUB usage on my PowerBook.

I had to make an ext3 /boot partition for yaboot and I made it 100MB big (years ago it was plenty!). However 5.x kernel and initimg considerably increased in size, so two won't fit at the same time! At least 120-130 would be recommended in my opinion.

Riccardo