G5 compilation speed vs G4

Hi,

now that the iMac G5 is up and running, I did run the same build task as on my iBook G4 and PowerBook G4, where I already found some differences in speed, given a similar CPU and setup - We attribtuted them to the quite much faster disk in the iBook.

Now comes the G5 (PPC970fx) which runs runs 64bit, has twice the RAM of the iBook, a SATA 7200rpm hard disk and 2.1GHz compared to 1.2GHz (although I know this is comparing two different CPUs, just noting that)

Again? The iMac G5 is about as fast as the iBook G4!

When using the computer, it feels definitely faster... but compiling ArcticFox takes about the same. Unexpected.

Could be there a performance issue due to cooling, CPU scaling or such? When compiling, the iMac remains almost quiet spinning up the fans from time to time (see other post). My iBook instead has them whirring up full speed for hours!

Riccardo