Re: Updated installer images 2020-12-02

On 12/5/20 1:44 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 4:15 AM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> Your blank screen may have a different cause such as such as missing
>> firmware for your graphics card which is a result of Debian Ports
>> currently not having access to contrib and non-free during
>> installation - something I can't influence but that's supposed to
>> be fixed in the future.
>
> I think it is interesting (in a morbid sort of way) that a Debian
> maintainer is not allowed access to the port to fix things.
>
> What is the problem? Who is putting barriers in your way?
>
> Jeff

I need to follow here and be more clear. More precise. The machine does
not boot to a black screen. It makes the usual Apple chime and then this
is shortly followed by a grey screen with a flashing "folder" icon in
the center. This seems to indicate that the machine can not find a boot
sector or boot loader on the default boot device. If I leave the install
dvd in the dvd drive then the blinking folder goes away after about five
seconds and I get the grub menu from the installer.  Here I can select
expert mode and setup a few things and even get to a shell with strange
"busybox" wherein the "ls" command does not support the letter "b" or
the letter "p" option.  That always bothers me but it is an aside. In
any case this is not a black screen. It is a grey screen with a flashing
folder icon and that will sit there forever if the dvd is empty.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC