Re: Installing Jessie on PowerMac G4 (32 bit) -- expired key

Hi Rick,

You could try in http://archive.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free

Good luck
Jeroen

Rick Thomas schreef op 2020-06-19 10:59:
I need to install Jessie powerpc (32-bit) on a G4 powermac.  (And
before you ask, yes it needs to be Jessie – just for a couple of
months.  Then I will be able to install Adrian’s Sid from Ports.)
But I’m running up against some roadblocks.  Any help will be
greatly appreciated!

When the installer gets to the part where I choose a package
repository, I choose to enter the name manually as
“archive.debian.org”.  But that fails because it wants the dist to
be “oldoldstable”, which doesn’t exist on the archive repo.  If
I could make it use “jessie” instead, things would work fine, but
I don’t know how to tell the installer to do that.

So my first question is: Does anybody know how to force the dist name
to be something other than “oldoldstable”?

OK… I gave up and chose not to specify a package repository.  The
install runs to completion with a very minimal configuration.  It does
that and reboots fine.  Then I log in on the console and edit the
sources.list file to look like this:

DEB HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG/DEBIAN/ [1] JESSIE MAIN NON-FREE
CONTRIB

Then, when I do  “apt update” I get this:

root@grey:~# apt update

IGN HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie InRelease

GET:1 HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie Release.gpg [2420 B]

HIT HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie Release

IGN HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie Release

IGN HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/main powerpc
Packages/DiffIndex

IGN HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/non-free powerpc
Packages/DiffIndex

IGN HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/contrib powerpc
Packages/DiffIndex

HIT HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/contrib Translation-en

HIT HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/main Translation-en

HIT HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/non-free Translation-en

HIT HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/main powerpc Packages

HIT HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/non-free powerpc Packages

HIT HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie/contrib powerpc Packages

Fetched 2420 B in 14s (165 B/s)

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

All packages are up to date.

W: GPG ERROR: HTTP://ARCHIVE.DEBIAN.ORG [2] jessie Release: The
following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1587841717

If I ignore the warning and do “apt install exim4.doc-html” I get
this:

root@grey:~# apt install exim4.doc-html

Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

exim4-doc-html

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/464 kB of archives.

After this operation, 3354 kB of additional disk space will be used.

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

exim4-doc-html

Install these packages without verification? [y/N]

If I take the default (“N”) the install fails.  So I choose
“Y”, and get:

Install these packages without verification? [y/N] y

Selecting previously unselected package exim4-doc-html.

(Reading database ... 22481 files and directories currently
installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../exim4-doc-html_4.84-1_all.deb ...

Unpacking exim4-doc-html (4.84-1) ...

Setting up exim4-doc-html (4.84-1) ...

root@grey:~#

So my second question is:  How do I get it to proceed automatically in
spite of the expired key?

Thanks!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreceated.

Rick

Links:
------
[1] http://archive.debian.org/debian/