Re: Lombard booting Debian Ports 2020-04-19 (was Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19)

On 4/20/20 3:30 PM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Did you try loading GRUB directly from the OpenFirmware prompt?
>
> From the Open Firmware prompt, the Debian 7.8 CD can be booted using the
> following command:
> 0 > boot cd:,\install\yaboot
>
> From the Open Firmware prompt, the Debian SID CD can't be booted; I
> tried these commands:
> 0 > boot cd:,\boot\grub\powerpc.elf
> MAC-PARTS: can't find a default partition
> can't OPEN: cd:,\boot\grub\powerpc.elf

This should actually work unless the system has issues reading the
CD-ROM itself or the HFS+ filesystem used on the CD-ROM.

> 0 > boot cd:,\install\vmlinux
> MAC-PARTS: can't find a default partition
> can't OPEN: cd:,\install\vmlinux
>
> 0 > boot cd:,\install\initrd.gz
> MAC-PARTS: can't find a default partition
> can't OPEN: cd:,\install\initrd.gz

Neither of these can be booted. \boot\grub\powerpc.elf is the one
that should work.

> Perhaps I'm not booting the right file?

I have more the impression that your machine is unable to read the HFS+
filesystem.

>> Is that by any chance the version of ofpathname shipped in Debian
>> Jessie? If yes, it's not surprising that the paths reported are
>> not correct.
>
> It's from Debian 7.8 (Wheezy).  I only included the paths in case the
> information would be useful.

As I said, the old ofpathname script from Jessie is known to be broken.

If you want to verify that the updated version shows the paths correctly,
you have to checkout the script from git and run it from there:

# https://github.com/glaubitz/powerpc-utils.git
# git checkout mac-support
# ./scripts/ofpathname /dev/sda
# ./scripts/ofpathname /dev/sda1

> I can re-install Debian SID from a
> pre-GRUB Debian SID CD and install your later versions of ofpathame if
> that would be helpful.

Just checkout the script from git/

> The requested information is below (unfortunately, at this point it's
> all from Debian 7.8):

Your information below is normally not version-dependent. The reason why
I requested to test ofpathname from sid was to verify that it displays
the correct paths on all machines we support and my changes are correct.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz