Re: poor relative G4 performance iBook/PowerBook

Try

% time cat <huge_file >huge_file_copy

Install smartctl to check drive health

I also have a PowerBook 1ghz which is quite a bit faster than my 1.5ghz tho could be because the former has a bit more ram and a newer hard drive and the latter has a defective 2nd ram slot