Re: Kernel broken for Apple powerbooks

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 03:14:10PM +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hello,
> since two months I am debugging the kernel boot process on an Apple
> powerbook because latest Debian kernels do not boot. I already opened a bug against debian src:linux package[1].
> Finally, I found the problem and I reported it upstream [2].
> It seems the fix will require some time, but in the meantime, the
> kernel may be built and work if CONFIG_VMAP_STACK is not set.
>
> Since powerpc is not currently a released architecture, who should I
> bug for changing this option for the kernels available at
> https://www.ports.debian.org/?
>
> Or, is there any ppc32 porter able to propose a patch?

Seems like a pretty bad bandaid to turn off a useful debug feature on
all systems just because you enable support for the ADB_PMU.  It solves
the problem for the affected apples, but is it worth the cost to all other
32 bit powerpc systems to make debuging some kernel problems much harder?

Too bad that handling stuff is in assembly, that certainly reduces the
number of people that could fix the actual problem.

--
Len Sorensen