Re: GRUB doesn't install

> On Jul 20, 2020, at 5:28 PM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:
>
> This may not be helpful but I installed that exact image into real G5
> hardware and it worked great.  I am not sure what qemu does from a
> firmware perspective but I also have ppc64le running with qemu and it
> runs great.

qemu behaves differently depending on the machine type specified on the command line.

You therefore can’t compare these two.

> Something fishy about qemu here.
>
> I did a build of the qemu from sources :
>
> styx$ /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-ppc64 --version
> QEMU emulator version 5.0.50 (v5.0.0-2005-geb6490f544-dirty)
> Copyright (c) 2003-2020 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
> styx$
>
> That thing runs great.
>
> What qemu are you running?

Please keep in mind that GRUB uses different installation mechanisms depending on the hardware used.

It’s impossible to debug David’s problem unless he provides the installation log through syslog as I requested earlier.

Debugging this without a log file is like looking into a crystal ball.

Adrian