Re: Debian live

Rick, et alia:

If indeed there is an effort afoot to create a bootable USB stick that functions absent a bootable disk, I would recommend using Kali Linux. This is both a Debian distribution and as well provisions a great many utilities that might be useful in such a scenario as where there are disks, they are unbootable but someone wishes to perform a forensic inspection upon them in precedence to simply installing over them. I have many times received more aged hardware and first looked to see what "goodies" were left behind (even if someone thought they deleted everything and did not zero out the disks).

Stuart

Quoting: Rick Thomas <rick.thomas@pobox.com>

The more general-purpose the "live" system can be the better.  Ideally, it should be possible to boot from the live CD/DVD, while at the same time having a specially formatted USB stick inserted which would provide "persistent" storage for the booted system -- leaving the disk drive(s) of the system untouched and available for whatever work you want to do with them (e.g. backup and recovery.)  The "grml" live boot for i386/amd64 is a great example of what I'd like.

Rick