Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020, at 11:30 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > [1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/2020-04-19/

Works great fresh out of the box on my PowerMac G5 "PowerMac7,3" --  Congratulations!
Let me know if you want log files or other data from that installation.

I then tried it on my PowerMac G4 Silver "PowerMac 3,5" -- and ran into a problem:

The CD booted fine.  I used the default install option. All went well until it came time to partition the disk.
The machine has three IDE (Parallel ATA) drives.  Two are configured as a RAID1 array and the third is the boot disk.
But none of those disks were found by the installer's partitioning step!  So I couldn't continue with the installation.
Interestingly enough, when I switched to <alt>-F2 console and did "ls -l /dev/sd*", all three of the disks seemed to be present.  Very strange!

So I thought maybe I could save the log files to a USB thumb-drive (I had forgotten about the "save to the web" option).
I plugged in a USB drive and tried again.  This time it *found* all the disks (including the USB drive) and kindly offered to partition them for me!        Wow!  "Curiouser and curiouser!"

So I disconnected the USB drive and tried again.  As expected, it did not find the disks this time.  So I saved the log files (having noticed the web option in a previous attempt).

Then I re-plugged the USB drive and tried the install with it in.  As expected, it found the disk drives and successfully partitioned the boot drive for me.  The rest of the install went fine, including installing Grub and rebooting into the newly installed system.  I saved the log files for comparison with the failed attempt.

I'm attaching to this email the two sets of log files as a single compressed tar.gz file.  Hope it helps!

Thanks for all your work!
Rick